Saturday, March 13, 2010

CUCUMBER FENNEL SALAD

Many of you may not be familiar with fennel. It looks some what like celery with delicate feathery top. Everyone at the gathering last night said they enjoyed it. It is a very cleansing salad with a refreshing taste. If you are serving two to four people, you may want to cut this recipe in half.

1 English Cucumber, diced
1 Fennel Bulb, diced
1 Avocado, diced
Half of an Onion, chopped (Red, Spanish or Sweet)
1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped (You could use Parsley)
Salt & Pepper to your taste

Dressing:
2 TBS. Agave Syrup
3 TBS fresh Lemon Juice


I started with the combination of cucumber and fennel with Cilantro and added the dressing. I added half of the Avocado simply because I was wanting to use the other half for something else, but it would be good to add the whole avocado.

I tasted the salad and it was good without salt, so if you are limiting salt, do not add any. When you use salt, be sure to spend a little extra money for quality mineral salt without anti-caking agents.

I pulled a little salad out in a small bowl to taste how I liked it if I added a touch of jalapeno pepper. I did but liked it better without. I did not have any Banana Peppers or I would have chosen that over the jalapenos. I didn't want to get it too hot for my guests.

Actually jalapenos are very alkalizing if they are fresh, but you must be careful not to touch your face if you chop them yourself. If you buy them already chopped in a jar, they are not alkalizing to the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment