Sunday, February 27, 2011

LIMITING THE GIVER


With all the many expressions and examples of God being a generous GIVER, why do so many of His disciples put limitations on Him and re-interpret His gracious promises outside of our reach?

"But God has brought us out from there, (poverty & lack)
to bring us in, (to a completed covenant)
and to give us, (all we need for life and godliness) so that we might always
prosper and be kept alive."


Read Deut.6:24 5:29-30 8:6, 17-18

It is God who Gives the ability to produce wealth and so
confirms His covenant, which He swore to Abraham.


Abraham was a wealthy man. I am offspring of Abraham through Jesus, ratifier of a new and better covenant. Galatian 3:28-29

I have been reluctant to post this writing due to the certainty of creating a theological disturbance in my friends. I find it difficult to write enough to fully explain my point, so let me give this disclaimer. I am not presenting the idea that we can escape suffering, trials, disease or become perfect examples of Christ in the earth. I am not saying that following Jesus will never call on us to be a martyr, to make sacrifices in our life, to surrender our possessions, or our reputation for the Kingdom's sake.

But here is the reality that I am trying to work through: IF I AM A CHILD OF THE KING, WHY DO I LIVE LIKE A PAUPER? LIKE ONE UNDER THE CURSE OF THE LAW? WHY DON'T I SEE THE KINDGOM MANIFEST IN MY DAILY LIFE? WHY DO I LIVE IN FEAR, NEGATIVITY, SICKNESS, POVERTY MIND SET, HELPLESSNESS AND HOPELESSNESS? If Jesus died and resurrected to make us like Him and do the works He did, why do we settle for the lowest common denominator in the Christian community? And worse still, we re-interpret Scripture to fit our experience. I am opting to make my experience fit what Jesus said I could have. Read your covenant.

Let's define wealth. Poor in spirit does not mean a spirit of poverty. Humility is not humiliation. Wealth is value oriented, not just possessions and currency. Wealth is success oriented, as opposed to failure or victim mentality. As covenant people, we are wealthy and successful beyond our wildest dreams because of who we have become in Christ. We are expected to grow up in the ways Christ modeled for us, not stay in our childhood understanding. Paul said that we would reign IN THE EARTH, in life, through Christ Jesus.

I think many in the church have conflicting views on Biblical prosperity. On one hand, we have been taught that wealth is dangerous and not very spiritual. On the other hand, we feel entitled to a certain share of financial security as American Christians. I know I am treading on dangerous ground on this subject, but feel compelled to throw out some thoughts to ponder.

It bothers me that Christian people have been GIVEN everything we need for living life abundantly and in a godly manner. (II Pet.1:3) Yet we appear to be paupers, we live defeated lives, we lack wisdom, supernatural love, peace, joy, and the authority to dispell the darkness around us and bring God's will on earth as it is in Heaven. We shame, blame, criticize and use fear to manipulate others to maintain control for our comfort.

I think we have developed a distorted sense of wellness. If I ask, "Is it God's will for you to live in health and to prosper?", most people feel conflicted or they will truely believe that God may want them to remain ill and broken down. (for God's glory or to teach them something or to punish them for something) If this is really true, then the devil has a clear advantage and has put a wedge between the heart as a receiver of all things (Romans 8: and II Peter 1:3) and God's heart as a GIVER of New Covenant provision. Most will not contend for deliverance or healing beyond commonly accepted modalities, and resentment toward God becomes an inner battle.

If you have a disease process destroying your body and you believe it is not God's will for you to be healthy, then how can you justify going to the medical community and taking up their ways and means to achieve health? You would be resisting God's will for you. I am not saying you should not seek medical help. I am saying that the two ideas are conflicting. (I am aware of exceptions - a separate discussion)

I believe God is a GIVER. He has brought us out, to bring us in and to give us a completed covenant, abundant life, fullness of joy, freedom from controling passions, and arrogant pride. If I am not experiencing that peace that Jesus gives and love that allows me to forgive, I will still cling to the covenant as written and contend until I remove all blocks in me to receiving.

One more thought. GRACE covers my blindness, inconsistencies, weaknesses, lack, and everthing else in me that does not receive all Christ died to provide me. There is no shame or condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. So even if some unhealed disease takes me out, or unresolved negative issues continue to haunt my pursuit of spiritual maturity, I will continue to believe that God forgives ALL my sins and heals ALL my diseases, be they physical, mental or emotional. (Psalm 103:3-5) Our God is a GIVER, always at work bringing us out, inorder to bring us in to Himself and the new order of His Kingdom living. Don't settle for less in the Church age.

God's covenanat is designed to restore all I lost in my dis-connect with His active voice. It is to remove the shame and reproach that I feel, and that makes me hide from Him behind the fig leaves of accomplishments and shallow pleasures.

God's covenant of grace is a completed work, finished at Calvery. We don't have to work or deserve it, but we do have to draw on it by resting in God's goodness and enjoy His conscious presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment