Monday, March 18, 2013

#5 Detox Smoothie

This Strawberry Basil Margarita is delicious and tangy.  It is creamy due to the Avocado and flushy due to the frozen fruit and  anti-inflammatory due to the citrus and ginger.  
                                                                     

                               Strawberry Basil Margarita
1 cup Frozen Strawberries  (of course you can make this unfrozen if you prefer)
4 to 6 fresh Basil leaves
1/4 of an Avocado   (I often use frozen)
1 cup Water or mineral fizzy water    (I use my kefir water.)
Shredded Ginger Root    (I use about a Tablespoon of shredded or chopped pieces)
Half of a Lime juiced   (or you can use Lemon)

Note: I cut an Avocado into small chunks the size I use in my drinks and freeze them in a plastic bag.  I hate to allow unused Avocado to spoil, and freezing the leftover is a good way to save it for later use.  I also like to freeze half of a washed Lemon.  It grates nicely over cooked vegetables like Broccoli or Salads.  I shreedded some in this smoothie.

If your Lime is not juicy, you may want to use the whole Lime for this drink. 

Add ins are optional:
Aloe Vera plant jel
1 T. Chia or Hemp Seeds add protein without changing the flavor

Fresh Spinach or Kale will add to the alkalinity of your drink, plus add the green vegetables you need.  Try this drink without the Spinach first, then with it.  It ruins the pretty pink color of the strawberries, but if eye appeal isn't an issue . . . .

Blueberries might make a good substitute for the Strawberries.  That's a good idea Liz.  I will try it myself. 

If you do not use herbs like Basil, omit this herb or try Mint.                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment