Sunday, March 10, 2013

Swarming Honey Bees

This visiting swarm of honey bees were looking for a home or a resting place, but they provided me with a bit of excitement.  I was sitting on the dock enjoying the quietness of the lake with my quart jar of Lemon/Lime/Ginger Water.  (Recipe provided on the previous post)
I became aware of a humming sound off to my left side.  The sky was dark with some kind of flying insect or bee.  I quickly saw that it was in my best interest to get back to land so I could run for cover.  They followed me up but stopped at the live oak trees in the yard.  Tal saw my distressed body language and opened the door for me.  When we realized they were not after me, we got brave and carefully walked back to get a better look.  The swarm was like a cloud around a mass of spanish moss hanging from the branch above.   

As we waited, they began to form this tight clump in and around the moss hanging from the branch.  We called a bee keeper here where we get our honey and he said the queen was in the center of that mass.  They would probably move on in several days, but they haven't as yet.  They are very quiet now. I hope they are not going to die.  Bees are dying from environmental pollution.  So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment