Monday, February 8, 2010

ENGLISH PEA CASHEW SALAD

I am into salads again. Years ago I had a group of business people in downtown Bristol who bought dinner salads from me. I prepared them fresh each morning and delivered them. This is one of their favorites. I am looking for variety since I am eating the simple salad again. This can be assembled as a single plate salad.

English Pea Cashew Salad

Torn Romaine or Leaf Lettuce
Sprinkle with Frozen English Peas (rinse them if they are icy)
Sweet Onion Slices, whole or broken
Tomato wedges or Cherry Tomatoes halved (I use Roma Tomatoes in winter)
Toasted Cashews or raw (Buy raw nuts and toast them yourself for better quality)
Hard Boiled Egg (sliced, wedged, or mashed and sprinkled over the top)
Bacon pieces (good addition if you are allowing yourself to have Bacon)

Dressing is Mayo Dill.
1 cup Mayo
1 T. Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp. Dill Weed

I use a clean Mayonaize like Veganaise or make my own (very simple)
I also salt my egg and tomato by adding Salt and Pepper fresh from the grinders over the entire salad before adding the dressing.

Note about salt: I persoanlly believe salt, in its natural state, is very health giving because of the minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc. Many are restricting salt almost entirely from their diet and what is worse, they are substituting chemical products for the real thing. Do some research on your own and then do what feels comfortable for you. If you choose to use salt, pay a little extra and buy a quality Sea Salt. Even in the healthfood stores you can buy salt that has anit-caking agents and preservatives. Look for Redmond Real Salt or Celtic Sea Salt and always check the ingredients.

Salt is alkalizing and detoxifying to your body. Buy Epsom Salt (very inexpensive) and take a soaky bath for 30 minutes. It draws out toxins and is healing to the skin.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your info on salt. I was waiting on your take. I think most Americans get their excess of it in processed foods. The pea salad sounds good but I do not care for the taste of Mayo. Any suggestion on a substitute? Does Venganaise taste like Mayo? Is it on regular store shelves? I just don't usually go to that aisle. Thanks for your knowledge and little tips. Smiles, C

    ReplyDelete