Saturday, February 20, 2010

FRUIT AND VEGETABLE SALAD

I am finding it difficult to come up with names for these salads. If you come up with a catchy name for these, throw it back my way. I have resorted to numbering them in my recipe book.

This salad is a brand new one, created by a mistake. My son, Bill, spent the night with us last night. I served Salmon burgers on the Arnold thin buns along with this Broccoli Mardarin Orange Salad. I intended to use my home made Mayo, add Pineapple juice to thin it to dressing consistency and use it on the salad. Instead of getting the mayo jar, I got the blue cheese dressing I had used the night before. When I saw the blue cheese chunks falling into my salad, I was sure I had ruined it. But was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it.

FRUIT AND VEGETABLE SALAD

Broccoli Stalk and Florets, chopped finely
One Slice of Sweet Onion, diced
Apple, chopped to match the Broccoli
Mandarin Oranges
Crushed Pineapple, drained well
Pecans
Cabbage, chopped finely but not shredded
Cottage Cheese (this is optional. I added it on a whim)

Add the Blue Cheese Dressing. Bill ate more than his share.
This could be layered on a single serving plate or combined in a bowl, which is how I did it last night.

If you want to avoid mayo dressings, try a Squeeze of Lemon. The Cottage Cheese and the Crushed Pineapple would be enough dressing when mixed.

1 comment: