Thursday, February 18, 2010

PRESENT MYSTERY: CHRIST IN ME


The last entry dealt with the mystery of the cross of Christ and the extravagant love that bring us forgiveness. But there is another mystery that follows forgiveness and removing the barriers to intimate friendship with God.

The Apostle Paul talks about this mystery in Colossians 1:27. He says, "This is the mystery, Christ in me, hope of glory." I think it could be summed up by saying, "God's wonderful plan for my life is Chirst Himself." Don't we always think in terms of God making my life fulfilled with my dreams of possessions, good relationships, good reputation, good health, etc. This is the good life we feel He owes us if we are faithful.

Suppose God granted you everything you wrote on a list that would make your life like the Garden of Eden, right now, with one condition; that He would not be there. How would you respond? Some years ago the Lord and I had a dialogue about this proposal. I didn't have to think about it. Through tears I repented of my complaining and settled it once and for all. The Garden of Eden would be hell without God's presence.

From the time God's presence left the Garden in the dawn of creation until the resurrection of Chirst, He has been moving ever closer to this present mystery of incarnational reality. Christ really dwells in you? That realtiy ought to make a difference in how I relate to others and the values that guide my life. The last stage will be to restore all things, remove all evidence of the Fall of man and all rebellion. We will see Him face to face and enjoy Him forever.

Christ in me, hope of glory. How close do you want Him to be right now?

Christ in me. . .
thinking and speaking
loving and caring
giving and forgiving
enduring and patient
bold and fearless
enthusiastic and joyful
reaching out through me to others
full of peace and releasing peace as we live life together as ONE.

This God living in me is a happy, singing God.

One other thought. Jesus used the ordinary, insignificant things around Him to pour His divine energy into. Ordinary stuff like a boy's lunch to feed 5,000, water jars filled with water for a marraige feast, the dirt He walked on and His own spit to open a blind man's eyes.

Lord, I am ordinary stuff. In this wilderness of futility, pour Your energy through my mind, heart, hands and feet. Keep my focus on You, present in me. Unlike food, water, and dirt, I can rebel, complain, feel offended, argue and think I am justified in moving away from You. You said I am sheep-like, so You understand me well. But I am Yours and You dignify the ordinary stuff. WOW Christ in me, hope of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment