Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TABBOULEH WITH BEANS

I got this recipe idea from Allrecipes. They used white beans, bulgur wheat, and traditional seasoning. I have used Quinoa (a more digestable grain), Chick Peas (or Garbonzo Beans), and I punched up the seasoning with Cumin. Some put Quinoa grain on the alkalizing food list and I am eating as much alkalizing foods as I can to help me cleanse and get my energy level up. Parsley is another cleansing super foods. If you have questions, email me. thomp02@gmail.com Liz

CHICK PEA TABBOULEH (SALAD)

1 cup Quinoa (get this in the Health Food section or a Health Food store)
Rince in a tight sieve to remove any bitter taste.
2 cups water and 1/4 tsp Sea Salt Add rinsed Quinoa to the salted water.
Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cover. It takes about 20 minutes to absorb the water. fluff and allow to cool.

Assemble the following in a large bowl:
2 cups chopped fresh Parsley
1 cup chopped fresh Spinach
2 Tomato chopped or 3 Roma Tomatoes (Winter tomatoes aren't especially good so I use Roma)
Half of an Onion, finely chopped (you can increase the amount)
1/2 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Clove of Garlic (if you like - it has notable healting properties)
1 can of Chick Peas or two cups if you have cooked them yourself)

Add the cooked Quinoa and combine with dressing below.

Make a Dressing using:
1/4 cup Quality Olive Oil or less
2 Lemons juiced
1/2 tsp Sea Salt

That is the basic dressing, but I added 1 tsp Cumin
If you have a Cajun Spice Blend, you might experiement by pulling out a bit of the salad and trying it. If not, you haven't ruined the whole dish.

Since I am on a Spring cleanse this early, I am trying to eat foods that help my body cleanse itself. Cucumber, Parsley, raw Spinach and Kale would be a few. In my other Tabbouleh recipes, I usually add chopped cucumber. I think cucumber would be good in this recipe also.

NOTE: Serve with warmed Pita. Makes a good lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth. My name is Donna Hooker,I am Carolyn's daughter in-law. She told me about your blog as we are currently doing a Daniel fast. I plan to continue to follow you. I love the recipes and information. Carolyn said we have a lot in common. Good luck with your cleanse. I'll try your recipes soon too!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Donna, I look forward to your feedback. I am interested in what your cleanse looks like and the results. Are you juicing and eating only vegetables? cooked or raw? how long is your fasting time?

    Here is my email: thomp02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete