Sunday, January 31, 2010

SUN-DRIED TOMATO HUMMUS

I love Hummus ever since I tasted it in Romania in a Lebanonise restaurant. I don't like the store bought variety, so started making my own. It is not difficult but you do need a food processor. Use the S Blade and cream all ingredients together until smooth.

If you like Hummus, you probably have your favorite recipe, so I am giving you Tal's favorite. He loves recipes with Sun-dried Tomatoes. You can make your own sun-dried tomatoes when Roma Tomatoes are plentiful. Now you will want to purchase them in a jar.

1 or 2 Cloves Garlic, chop finely
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 TBS. Tahini Paste (try it without if you don't have any)
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 15 oz. cans Garbanzo Beans or 2 cups you cooked yourself.
1/4 cup Olive Oil or use some of the oil off of the sun-dried tomatoes.
1/4 cup Oil packed Sun-Dried tomatoes chopped

Add all ingredients except the Sun-Dried Tomatoes in to the Food Processor.
Process until smooth.
Add the chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes and process again.
Turn out into a serving bowl.

When you are ready to serve it, make a few grooves in the top, drizzle on a little Olive Oil and sprinkle with Paprika or a Cajun Spice Blend.

You can heat Pita Bread in the oven with Olive Oil and Cajun Spice Blend or Sea Salt and dip into the Hummus to eat.

Here is how I like to fix it for a meal. Warm half of an Arnold's Mulit-grain Sandwich Thins. Spread Hummus on top and then shredded Carrots, slices of Avocado and chopped Tomato. This is good with plain Hummus or this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I will try this when Jo, Ross and I go to the beach. How do you make your Lentil Soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been buying the Arnold's Sandwich Thins, multi-grain for some time. Since I am not much of a bread eater but sometimes need it to hold food together or to hold a spread, I find it really it handy and not so filling. Smiles

    ReplyDelete